Why do we pile structures.
- To limit settlement both total and differential.
- To transfer building loads through weak soils to stronger soils at depth.
What alternatives are there to piling.
- Traditionally excavated foundations to depth.
- Vibro compaction / replacement
- Dynamic compaction / consolidation.
- RC rafts.
- Vibro concrete columns.
Many pile types and methods of installation generally
fall into the following categories.
There are basically two types of piling;
- Displacement piles.
- Bottom driven permanently cased piles.
- Top driven concrete or timber piles.
- Top driven or vibrated sheet piles.
- Replacement piles.
- Rotary bored piles without temporary casing.
- Rotary bored piles with temporary casing.
- Continuous flight auger (hollow stem).